Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cupcake dilemas

I have thrown myself into the cupcake fray, I know this trend is extremely hot these days. I loved these little jems so much when I was a kid but it always seemed like we hardly ever had them, I think my mom preferred to make a whole cake. Now I am on a quest for gluten-free cupcake domination!
I will be honest the first four tries have left me more than a little dissapointed, yes, I will admit it, I was discouraged.
All that has changed!
I have been able to get a consistency that is so amazingly light and fluffy that I have fooled gluten eaters!Whoohoo!!!!!
Unfortunately I can't post the recipe right now because I am still tweaking and planning on using it for my own little place in the near future. Sorry.
I am working on frostings today though and I am amazed at what freshness can do with regard to ingredients. I purchased some El Peto powdered sugar(GF of course) a while back at Loblaws and I couldn't believe how hard and crumbly the texture of my icing was. I swore off the products permanently, however, yesterday I was forced to buy it at my local grocer when they had run out of the usual brand. The El Peto line is new for them so I knew freshness was guaranteed! Low & behold a beautiful frosting,smooth and superb spreading consistency!
Lesson 1-If at first you don't suceed, go back to the ingredients before giving up.
Lesson 2-When one place carries crappy, old ingredients, go somewhere else.
Lesson 3-Chocolate,whipped cream and sugar are always good friends who LOVE hangin out together!
I will now attempt to infuse my cream with teas for a unique ganache I shall unleash on unsuspecting tongues!

No comments: